Cupcake day is almost here! If you need to whip up cupcakes quickly or maybe get the kids involved, try this easy red velvet cupcake recipe. This recipe is made with a cake mix, but still tastes like you made it from scratch.
Serves: 24 Total time: About 30 minutes
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring (do not reduce amount!)
- cream cheese frosting (You can whip up your own cream cheese frosting in about 5 minutes. Here’s the recipe for Kittencal’s Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food coloring for about 2 minutes. Scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Food.com
Are you pressed for time, but still want to add a little more love to your cupcakes? Nothing says “you’re special” better than cupcakes topped with hugs and kisses.
You can get pretty creative with this cupcake topper and use anything from an icing pen to your favorite candy such as M & M’s or cinnamon candies to create the “X’s” and “O’s”.
Or you can give your heart away as a cupcake topper!
This cupcake decorative idea is courtesy of Red Couch Recipes.
Photo courtesy of Cupcakepedia
Want to add a little cuteness to your yummy chocolate or vanilla cupcakes? There are very few things that are cuter than a puppy face on a cupcake. This cupcake puppy face topper would probably taste best with chocolate frosting.
Here are the ingredients to make your puppy face:
- Nutter Butter cookies
- Chocolate M&Ms (1 bag)
- Round butter cookies (1 box)
- Edible candy eyeballs (1 package)
- Royal Icing or Chocolate drawing pen
- Place one round cookie and two Nutter Butter cookies into a puppy face on the cupcake.
- Add one M&M for the puppy nose.
- Add two edible candy eyeballs for the puppy eyes.
- Draw a puppy mouth with royal icing or chocolate food drawing pen.
This cupcake decorative idea is courtesy of Cupcakepedia.