Cupcake day is almost here! If you need to whip up cupcakes quickly or maybe get the kids involved, try this easy red velvet cupcake recipe. This recipe is made with a cake mix, but still tastes like you made it from scratch.
Serves: 24 Total time: About 30 minutes
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring (do not reduce amount!)
- cream cheese frosting (You can whip up your own cream cheese frosting in about 5 minutes. Here’s the recipe for Kittencal’s Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food coloring for about 2 minutes. Scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Food.com
Photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
If you’re pressed for time and need cupcakes in a pinch, or maybe a quick fix for a chocolate craving, then try out Emergency Blender Cupcakes. The total time to make these yummy treats is about 25 minutes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 12 regular-sized muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a blender. Cover with the lid and blend on medium-speed until blended.
- Pour in the water, oil, egg and vanilla. Cover with the lid and blend on medium-high speed until sooth and well-blended, stopping to scrape down the sides once or twice.
- Pour into prepared pan/cups, dividing evenly. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of one cupcake comes out clean, 15-17 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool for about 10 minutes, and then remove cupcakes from the pan and set them on the rack to cool completely before frosting.
This quick cupcake recipe can be found on food.com.