Cupcake day is almost here! If you need to whip up cupcakes quickly or maybe get the kids involved, try this easy red velvet cupcake recipe. This recipe is made with a cake mix, but still tastes like you made it from scratch.
Serves: 24 Total time: About 30 minutes
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring (do not reduce amount!)
- cream cheese frosting (You can whip up your own cream cheese frosting in about 5 minutes. Here’s the recipe for Kittencal’s Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food coloring for about 2 minutes. Scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Food.com