Looking for that perfect sweet and savory combination? Try out these French toast cupcakes topped with bacon! (Recipe found on http://www.foodnetwork.com)
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Prep: 40 min
Cook: 40 min
- Yield: 12 cupcakes
- Level: Intermediate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 3.9-ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon (we recommend using artificial bacon!)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Prepare the cupcakes: Combine the flours, pudding mix, baking powder, potato starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl with a whisk.
In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on low speed until combined, 6 to 8 minutes. Gradually mix in the vanilla and egg whites. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the maple syrup and half-and-half, mixing after each addition and ending with flour. Mix until the ingredients are just combined; do not over mix. Fold in the bacon. The batter will be thick.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze: Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon; beat until combined. Spread on the cooled cupcakes; top with chopped bacon, if desired.