Summer months mean a high-intake of animals in the shelter. So many animals are in need of loving homes right now!
Summer months also mean higher temperatures and delicious ripe fruits! Try out this Cherry Limeade Cupcake recipe, courtesy of http://www.flicksandeats.com/.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 16 – 18 minutes
3 cups cake flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
½ cup plus
3 tbsp limeade concentrate
¾ cup milk (I used skim)
For lime syrup:
½ cup limeade concentrate
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, or more
½ cup butter, softened
5 tbsp maraschino cherry juice red food coloring (optional)
For decorating (optional):
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin pans with paper liners.
– In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir together and set aside.
– In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until smooth.
– Add the sugar and beat on medium-high speed until creamed.
– Add in the limeade concentrate and mix to incorporate.
– Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions.
– Add in the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
– Mix ingredients just long enough to incorporate but no longer.
– Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely.
– Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, whisk together the limeade concentrate and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl to make the lime syrup. Poke several holes in the top of each cupcake with a skewer and pour the syrup over the cupcakes, allowing it to soak in. Drizzle the syrup slowly because otherwise, it’ll flow off the sides and make a mess.
– To make the frosting, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, and maraschino cherry juice in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated, then increase to medium-high speed and beat until smooth. Add red food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cupcakes. Garnish with lime slices and maraschino cherries, if desired.